Alamance Studio Tour 2014
Click here to go to the Online Entry Form (Deadline May 4)
Click here to download this page as a PDF
October 11 and 12, Saturday 10 AM–5 PM, Sunday noon – 5PM
October 18 and 19, Saturday 10 AM–5 PM, Sunday noon – 5PM Preview exhibit
Alamance County Arts Council, Captain White House, Graham
Drop off dates – Fri. Sept. 19 & Sat. Sept 20-9-5
Opening Reception – Thursday Sept 25 6:30-8:30
Take down date – Monday, Oct. 20 from 9am til 5 pm 2014 Alamance Studio Tour Timeline
- March 25, 7:00 PM: Informational meeting, Alamance County Arts Council, Graham
- April 18: Guild membership deadline
- April 15, 8:00 PM: Online application open at http://www.alamanceartisans.com/artistinfo.html
- May 4, Midnight: Application deadline
- May 14: Committee assignments made
- August 26, 7:00 PM: Mandatory meeting, distribute signs and print publicity, Church of the Holy Comforter, Burlington, NC
- Sept. 19-20 – drop off art for preview exhibit (9-5 each day at the Arts Council)
- Sept. 25 – Thursday – Opening : 6:30 to 8:30
- October 11, 10-5 and October 12, noon-5 : first weekend of the Tour
- October 18, 10-5 and October 19, noon-5 : second weekend of the Tour
- October 20: Studio Tour survey becomes active; Take down Preview Exhibit – Arts Council 9:00-5:00
- October 25, midnight: Studio Tour survey deadline
- October 27, 7:00 PM: Mandatory wrap-up meeting, Alamance County Arts Council, Graham, NC
Studio Tour Requirements
- All applicants must be working (full- or part-time) artists or craftspersons.
- All work sold on the Studio Tour must be original work by the participant.
- Participants may not offer resale items or items made by nonmembers.
- Participants must be present and the studio must remain open during advertised 2014 Studio Tour hours.
- Each participant must participate in the preview exhibit and is responsible for delivery and pickup of his or her work.
- Each participant must be willing to contribute a minimum of 4 service hours toward the tasks that make the tour happen.
- Participants will be responsible for setting up, removing, and returning their road signs. Participants may be charged for signs that are not returned. All signs must be taken up during the week between the 2 weekends of the tour.
The Alamance Studio Tour application will be available online April 15, 2014 (8:00 pm) through May 4, 2014 (midnight). Artists will be able to fill out the application, submit images, and pay the tour fee online.
- Each participant’s share of the costs of the 2014 Alamance Studio Tour is $160.00 per person.
- Two family members residing in the same location may exhibit together for a reduced cost of $290.00 for both. Please note on your entry form if you are applying for the family discount.
- Payment can be made online when filling out the online entry form or via check (see “Contact Information” below for the mailing address). Checks should be made out to Alamance Artisans Guild with “Studio Tour” in the memo line.
- Please remember that everyone pays to participate in the Studio Tour. You are not buying a service,
- you are participating in a joint effort that requires time and talent from each of us.
- The participation fee helps pay for the brochure with map, postcards, road signs for each participant, and media publicity.
- Studios are encouraged to offer simple refreshments, paid for by the artists, to their visitors.
- Applicants must be members in good standing of the Alamance Artisans Guild (AAG) by April 1, 2014.
- The 2014 Alamance Studio Tour would like to include participating artist studios in the towns of Gibsonville and Mebane that are located just outside the Alamance county line. Mebane straddles the line between Alamance and Orange counties and Gibsonville between Alamance and Guilford counties. Those studios just outside the line must have either a Gibsonville or Mebane address to qualify.
- Applicants must submit a maximum of 6, minimum of 3 professional quality digital images. These images must be of work created in the last 2 years and must be representative of work to be exhibited. (See “Image Requirements” section below for details.)
- Entries are not complete until the Studio Tour Steering Committee has received your Studio Tour fee of $160.00 (or $290 for a family). You can pay with a credit card on the online form, or you can send a check. See instructions in the online form and “Contact Information” below for the mailing address.
- A completed online entry form and all supporting materials must be submitted by midnight on May 4, 2014.
- Applicants must be willing to contribute at least 4 service hours toward making the tour happen.
- Each applicant must provide a brief description of his or her work for the brochure, a short biographical sketch, and an artist statement for publicity use.
- Applicants must allow AAG to photograph and use images of their studios / venues and artwork for promotional purposes.
Images for our Studio Tour brochure require professional quality appearance, i.e.:
- No images with text
- No images with a logo
- No images made as a collage of multiple images
- No blurry images
- No images with poor lighting
- No images with a busy background
- No images from the internet or online stores (Etsy)
- Artist will submit 3 images with one image being horizontal and ideally your primary #1 image. The horizontal image may work better in the layout design of the brochure.
- ALL images must be a high-definition picture meaning that the dpi (dots per inch) is 300 and be a minimum of 5 inches (1500 pixels) on the longest side. Please note: if the dpi is lower than 300, images will not be used because they will print blurry.
- Images can be TIFF, PDF, or JPG format.
- Images must be in color.
- Image files are to be labeled with the artist name like this (last name_first name_image number.file extension) For example: doe_joe_1.tiff
- Please select your favorite choice as number #1.
- You can submit your images either:
- By Online Application
- By Mail – either on a flash drive or CD. Mail to the new Studio Tour Address:
Alamance Studio Tour; PO Box 1127; Mebane, NC 27302; Attn: Donny Bell
You will be asked to sign the following participant agreement.
I understand that the purpose of the Alamance Studio Tour is to showcase, promote, and market the visual arts in Alamance County and to educate the public on the value of handmade work. I hereby agree to the following terms and conditions. I understand that if I fail to comply with the Studio Tour requirements and conditions listed below, I may be ineligible to participate in subsequent Studio Tour events.
- I agree to open my studio from 10 AM to 5 PM , Saturday, October 11, 10-5 and Sunday, October 12, noon-5 AND / OR Saturday, October 18, 10-5 and Sunday, October 19, noon-5. I will be present during those hours at the advertised location.
- I agree not to exhibit, display for sale, or host the work of a nonparticipating artist in the space over which I have control.
- I understand that if I am hosted by another person, he or she must be an accepted 2014 Studio Tour participant.
- I will submit a recent original piece of art for the preview exhibit, and I will deliver and pick up this work.
- I agree that the Alamance Studio Tour and Alamance Artisans Guild may use any photographs, videotapes, audiotapes, or other recordings of me or my work without compensation for promotional or other purposes.
- I agree to perform a minimum of 4 hours of service to the Alamance Studio Tour, to be scheduled at a future date.
- I agree to attend a signs and publicity distribution meeting, and a wrap-up meeting.
- I agree to complete online the 2014 Studio Tour survey by the deadline, midnight on October 25, 2014 , after the tour and share all requested audience/visitor and sales information to assist in marketing and seeking future funding.
- I understand that submissions will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. I also understand that no application is complete until the online form has been completed and all materials and payment have been received by the Studio Tour Steering Committee via either the online form or the US mail.
The objective of the Alamance Studio Tour is to showcase individual artists in their own working spaces (as much as possible). A qualifying artist may exhibit in his or her individual studio or share studio space with another qualifying artist, but may not use a gallery or other art sales venue as his or her tour location, with the exception outlined below. Galleries can become supporters of the tour for the same fee as other businesses ($160.00). A supporter gallery receives a mark identifying its location on the Studio Tour brochure map, mention in the brochure under “Supporters,” mention and a link to the gallery’s website on the Studio Tour website, and copies of the Studio Tour brochure to make available at its place of business. Individuals represented by the gallery are not listed individually.
If a gallery is a retail facility only, any member artist of that gallery wishing to be a Studio Tour participant must apply to be a participant as an individual (and pay the associated fee) and show his or her work in his or her studio or in that of another participating artist.
If a gallery has an active work studio for at least one artist on the premises and that studio is open to the public, that gallery may be the Studio Tour location for that artist, and that artist may have as his or her guests other participating artists provided all apply individually to participate in the Studio Tour and only artists who are tour participants show work in that gallery during the Studio Tour. All participating artists must be members in good standing of the Alamance Artisans Guild. The gallery will have a supporters listing only if it pays the additional supporters fee.
(OUR NEW SEPARATE MAILING ADDRESS FROM THE MAIN AAG ADDRESS)
Alamance Studio Tour Steering Committee
PO Box 1127
Mebane, NC 27302
Alamance Studio Tour 2014 Steering Committee:
Our purpose is to facilitate, so please contact us with questions or concerns.
Antje Shiflett (email@example.com) – Studio Tour Manager – phone (336)421-9030
Loretta Partin (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Preview Exhibit and Events
Janae Lehto (email@example.com) – Publicity Co-Chair
Donny Bell (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Publicity Co-Chair
Jan Holloman (email@example.com) – Supporters
Jude Lobe (firstname.lastname@example.org) – Signage
Sherwood Hill (Hills1@LabCorp.com) – Finance and Records
Steve Cann (email@example.com) – Distribution